We know that whenever we type a password in any login form throughout the websites, we press character keys but what we see on the form’s field is just ‘*’ or a big dot. Those websites which we frequently access through login, most of us use the ‘save password’ feature of the browser. So when we access that particular website for the next time, the saved password appears automatically. Then when we frequently go on using the saved password, sometimes we forget the saved password and worry to have it back. If you have faced such a situation, here is the solution.
Every web browsers have option to view the passwords but it is sort of hidden so you may not have seen or use this option before. Here, I will show you how to Reveal Saved Passwords in Text Instead of Dots in Web Browsers which works perfectly fine in Google chrome, Safari and Mozilla Firefox.
1. VIEW SAVED PASSWORDS FROM BROWSER SETTINGS:
Google chrome, safari and Mozilla firefox have this features which enable you to see the saved password. It is easy method and will take only few steps.
Follow the following steps to get back the password
- Go to Settings (You can find the settings option by clicking on three horizontal lines that is located on the top right side of the browser)
- Scroll down and click on Show advance settings…
- Now, Find Manage passwords and click on it.
- Then you will see all your saved credentials.
- Just select the account which password you want to see and click on show option.
- A dialogue box will appear and you will be asked for your computer user account (Administrator) password. Just provide the info and view the saved password.
FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO VIEW SAVED PASSWORD IN MOZILLA FIREFOX:
In Mozilla Firefox, the process is little bit different. Just follow the given steps and you can easily view the saved password.
- Type about:preferences#security in your URL/address bar and press Enter.
- Go to security (You can find the security on left column)
- Now, Click on Saved logins.
- In new windows, click on Show passwords.
- Now, you can simply see the saved password.
FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO VIEW SAVED PASSWORD IN SAFARI BROWSER:
Now open Safari and then go to the Preferences with a ⌘ ,(Command-Comma) or in the Safari menu. Next Click on the Passwords tab at the top of the preferences window, which will show all the list of saved passwords for website that Safari has saved for you, along with the user name of that saved site. There is seperate column for password marked by doted. You just need to click on that series of doted and enter the administrator password for your mac, this will show you the password for the saved user from that website.
These are the very easy way to view your Saved Passwords in Chrome, Mozilla & Safari web browser. So, let’s move to next method as I mentioned above. This method is quite amazing, which works for all the browser and I am sure that you will pretty much like it.
REVEAL PASSWORDS IN WEB BROWSERS BY INSPECTING FIELD ELEMENTS:
This method can be very easy for web developers if they ever used INSPECT ELEMENT feature of browsers like google chrome of firefox. In this method we need to change the certain code through Inspect Elements. Follow the following steps.
- First open the website/ account and enter the username so that it will automatically generate the password.
- Now, go to the password box >> Right click and select Inspect (Chrome Browser)
- You will get the next screen where you can see all the codes.
- Also, you will get a line that should be selected automatically which looks like this-
<input type=”password” class=”inputtext” name=”pass” id=”pass” tabindex=”2″>
- Now, change type=”password” to type =”text”. To do this, you need to double-click on that word.
- Now, Close the inspect element screen and see the saved password.
- Make sure you change type =”text” to type=”password” after seeing the Saved password as text instead of dots. Otherwise, next time when you enter the email ,the password will be shown in text instead of dots. New users may face problem, if you don’t change to normal mode as before.
In these ways you can reveal your password or can convert * password into text password. Hope this article helped you. Post your comment if you have any query in the regard.
I would like to thank my friend Ashesh for developing this article.